Skip to main content

Flying

I did have an interesting time in my air travels this trip. I bought the cheapest tickets I could find and in return we had a few stop overs on the way. This was my fifth trip home and I had never any major traveling issues.

On the way to Seattle we made it to Houston. Then got onto my second flight and after everyone was aboard they told us we had to get off the plane. They had over fueled the plane and everyone had to get off so they could fix it. Now I was not going to make my connecting flight and all the other flights to Seattle were full so I had to go on stand by. I was lucky only had to wait on standby for five hours.(There were four service men trying to get home that waited longer than me.) And I got to Seattle only a few hours later than I was planning.

Now I thought my travel worries over. But my flight back to Austin was even more exciting than my flight to Seattle. Well maybe exciting is not the right word. I made it from Seattle to San Fransico. We left SFO a few minutes late because we had to wait for them to replace the captains chair. I should have had a two hour layover in LAX before heading to Austin so we are good.

Once we got to LAX and found the gate, the flight had been delayed. Now at this point it was only 30 mintites late. I can deal with that. But they keep pushing the time back and before you know it was running three and a half hours late and then they cancelled it all together. Now I may have had a chance to find an other flight but it was almost 11 pm. And there were no more flights going to Austin till the next day.

Now what do do with 12 hours to kill in LA. Well even though they gave us food vachures we could not get anything to eat because everything in the airport was closed. Now I could have gone to one of the hotel to use my food vouchers, but there were no rooms to stay in, the restaurant were closed and I would have had to roam the streets of LA till TSA opened in the morning. I had a child with me so I didn't think it was a good idea. I did ask the airline what they could provide us with right then and we got some snack packs, juice, blankets and pillows.

Now were are we going to sleep for the night in this big airport. (All the hotel rooms in town were full) First I need something to put all my stuff on because I was getting tired of lugging it around. I guess that's the downside of taking everything carry on. I found an bag cart, now this made things much easier. Need to find somewhere that was a little dark, close to the bathrooms, not around a lot of other people and seats without arms. The airport may have been closed but there was still security and a cleaning crew. And without all the crowds of people to absorb the sounds. Sounds traveled father and the TSA announcement that played all night was every loud. I am not a sound sleeper so I only got a few minutes here and there that night. As soon as resturants started to open up. I got a good breakfast and that helped a bit with the lack of sleep. Still had several hour till the flight but it was still on time.
We were on a small plane and since it was my kid sitting next to me. I curled up into a ball in my seat and fell asleep. And slept for a little bit till my ear popped and the sound and pain woke me. More of this in an other post.

I did make it back to Austin after spending 17 extra hours in LAX. And I am only going to fly nonstop for now on.

Sent from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hammer vs. Hand

Only one post this week and it's going to be short and sweet. Last Saturday when I was out making garden boxes. I managed to hit my hand with a hammer. I did stop working and put ice on it and took some Advil. I did all the things that you would think to do for a hammered hand. But by Tuesday I was still having eye crossing pain, so I call the nurse to see what they recommend I do. She said I need to come and be seen. Off to the doctor I went. I didn't think that I had broke anything but I was wrong. I have a Scaphoid Fracture of the Wrist.

April is Parkinson's Awareness month

Do you know someone with Parkinson's ? For more information on Parkinson's here a few websites: http://www.parkinson.org/ http://www.youngparkinsons.org/ A few of the events for April: Participate in the 18th Parkinson’s Unity Walk (PUW), Saturday, April 28, 2012 in New York’s Central Park. PUW is the largest grassroots event for Parkinson’s disease in the country, raising awareness and funds for PD research. http://www.unitywalk.org/ The National Parkinson Foundation’s Moving Day Walk is a fun, inspiring fundraising event that unites families, friends and communities in the fight against Parkinson’s disease. Held in cities across the United States, it is the first grassroots campaign that spotlights the disease on a national level and gives you the chance to speak out in your own community. http://www3.parkinson.org/site/PageServer?pagename=moving_day_home_page
It has been way to long since I have posted. I have started many post but some thing takes me away and now I have Twelve Drafts some dating back a few years. So many things have changed over the years. I can't wait to tell you everything!!