Skip to main content

June 18

 It has been way to long since my last post and I have some many things to tell you, but I am just going to tell you about the thing most on my mind.
 On June 18, I ended up having to work an hour and half later than planned because my boss ended up in a meeting. Which wasn't  a big deal I still had a little time before I need to be home to take a child to swim team. Then just as I was saying my goodbyes for the day, I had my bag on my shoulder and my keys in my hand, everything changed. I heard the young man from one of the other trailer yell something but could not make it out. Then he yelled a second time and I heard " Call 911 someone has been hit".  Now when I hear this my brain switched from going home to someone needs help. I dropped my bag and keys and ran outside to see what had happened. I first saw the truck and then looked up the road and saw someone laying in the road. So that is were I ran. When I got to the bicyclist he was unconscious and going into shock. And after seeing where his bike was and were he was, I knew that my main focus was to keep him breathing and as still as possible. So I got on the ground with him and held his hand and just started to talk to him. I don't know if he was ever aware that I was there, but talking to him did seem to help clam him when he tried to move. And at one point he did hold my hand back and held onto it until I had to let go so the EMT's could move him to a backboard. 
 I have seen many accidents in Austin and so many of them never make the news, but this one did. Come to find out that the man is Colin Camp an Austin Firefighter and a bad ass one too. He specializes in building collapse rescues, as well as water and road rescues and hazardous material response. 
 I have had a few people call me a hero. I say NO, Colin is the hero. I am just one person that came to his aid that day. Yes, I was the one on the ground with him. BUT someone else moved there car so that Colin and I would be safe from any other cars, Someone else directed traffic. Someone else ran after and stopped the driver of the truck so he would not flee the scene. 

In spite of wearing a helmet, he sustained life threatening injuries and remains in a coma. So come out and help support My Hero. You have two event to choose from or come out for both. To learn more about Colin or make a donation visit http://colincamp.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hammer vs. Hand

Only one post this week and it's going to be short and sweet. Last Saturday when I was out making garden boxes. I managed to hit my hand with a hammer. I did stop working and put ice on it and took some Advil. I did all the things that you would think to do for a hammered hand. But by Tuesday I was still having eye crossing pain, so I call the nurse to see what they recommend I do. She said I need to come and be seen. Off to the doctor I went. I didn't think that I had broke anything but I was wrong. I have a Scaphoid Fracture of the Wrist.

April is Parkinson's Awareness month

Do you know someone with Parkinson's ? For more information on Parkinson's here a few websites: http://www.parkinson.org/ http://www.youngparkinsons.org/ A few of the events for April: Participate in the 18th Parkinson’s Unity Walk (PUW), Saturday, April 28, 2012 in New York’s Central Park. PUW is the largest grassroots event for Parkinson’s disease in the country, raising awareness and funds for PD research. http://www.unitywalk.org/ The National Parkinson Foundation’s Moving Day Walk is a fun, inspiring fundraising event that unites families, friends and communities in the fight against Parkinson’s disease. Held in cities across the United States, it is the first grassroots campaign that spotlights the disease on a national level and gives you the chance to speak out in your own community. http://www3.parkinson.org/site/PageServer?pagename=moving_day_home_page
It has been way to long since I have posted. I have started many post but some thing takes me away and now I have Twelve Drafts some dating back a few years. So many things have changed over the years. I can't wait to tell you everything!!