Skip to main content
I feel so behind in getting a blog post up. Life has been keeping very busy but all in good way. Now I recently got myself an ipad to replace my laptop that had died. So I have been trying to figure out the best way to write on the ipad. I think I found the best way for now.

With less than a month before my half marathon and trying to train in the Texas heat is a challenge. But getting out early and lots of water make it manageable. I am swimming on my cross train day and sometime on run days too. (I am already at the pool six days a week and it gives me something to do vs standing around for an hour.) 

The garden is coming a long. I have twenty beds in area 66' x 7'. So I have a lot  of plants in the ground and still have some beds that I have not planted yet. But this Texas and I do have a long growing season. So they will end up with plants in them. My biggest concern with the garden right now is water. We are under tight  water restrictions . When the rules were made there was not any foresight for people doing home gardens. So any watering other than hand watering is only allowed two days a week. And even though my garden is on soaker hose. Which I feel  is the best way to water and have the least amount of waste, but I can still only water twice a week with it. So I have a new moto when it comes to watering the garden it is "Food not lawn". I do not water my lawn I would rather water my garden more often with the soaker hose. Plus when it's 100+ outside watering the grass twice a week does not keep it green and everyone else grass is brown too, so I am not worried. I have had some plant lose do to heat but I planted extra just for that reason. And I did lose most of my pumpkins do to squash vine bores  but I did get an other planting in. We should still have pumpkins in the fall. I also have some kind of lizard or snake living in the garden. I have not seen him but I have a section in the garden were I get close and something runs away. I am always careful when I work in garden especially with the drought, because there are more critters looking for water.

So here is the first post from my ipad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made it thru the week

Jasmine :-) Do to spring break my normal route was thrown off. But I still managed to work in the garden, go to a doctors appointment, do a big haul grocery store run, get a hair cut, visited with a friend, work on this blog...... ........became an honorary boy (I had to say "Boys are fantastic, girls are elastic!" 3 times) so I could play "Dangerous Book for Boys Board Game" And  lost a toenail. :-) Mike Tyson 3/13/11 (He was hard to get a picture of. He moved around a lot. And I was using my phone to take pictures.) :-)

How to irrigate the garden

One of my garden project that I been working on is: How to irrigate the garden. In the Texas summer heat vegetables need lots of water everyday. And I am already under water restrictions. I can only use a sprinkler head or system two days a week. And it also not the most efficient way to water the garden. And I wanted an idea that I could use recycled materials. After some searching on the Internet. I found IcePop-Drip-Irrigation . The short version: A frozen water bottle wrapped with a mylar chip bag. (Because I am anal about what I eat and about recycling. Both water bottles and chip bags are not some thing you find a lot of in my house. But it amazing what you can find at your local construction site.) I did change one thing to suit me and the garden better. I have a lot of more plants to water and it will be and early morning chore. So I drilled holes in the lids. Now I can just set them out in the garden and I don't have to wait for daylight. Hand Update: It is healing an...